Tuesday 8 January 2013

Les Miserables

Les Miserables is a well known novel by Victor Hugo. It has been adapted into theatrical performances for many years now and has, this year, been turned into a film.

Sam managed to pick up some free tickets to a preview showing of the film this evening, so we decided to go and see it. I must say, I was impressed. I will admit that I was not looking forward to it. Having seen the theatrical performance (which is stunning, by the way) I couldn't see how they would successfully convert it into a film, a decent one anyway. However, as it was free, I though I might as well give it a go - after much persuasion from the Sam.

I'm not going to spoil it. If you have read the book or seen it at the theatre then there isn't really anything to spoil but for the benefit of those who are new to Les Mis I won't mention any part of the story.

Iconic image used to promote theatrical performances of Les Miserables

I was pleasantly surprised by the film to be quite honest. With strong performances from Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, you won't be disappointed if you do decide to go and see it. I must warn you, especially if you haven't seen Les Mis in the theatre, it is a very long film - around 2 and a half hours. It's worth mentioning that this will probably turn to about 3 hours ish with adverts and trailers (something that a preview doesn't have, fortunately).

Also, with it being a sung-story musical, there is non stop songs from start to finish. If this isn't your thing, don't bother.

Film poster

I would definitely recommend giving it a watch. It's an inspiring story and one you are not likely to forget. It also has an unforgettable music track list with favourites such as "I dreamed a dream" and "Look down".

If you haven't read the book, and would like to know the background story before watching the film, then you should be able to pick up a second hand copy relatively cheap. It's a French book so you'll need the English translation, unless you can read French of course. You can actually pick up the Kindle edition of the English translated version for £0.00 - yes, it's completely free at the moment. (Please note that this price is correct as of 23:54GMT on 08/01/13).

The film is released in UK cinemas on 11th January, 2013. It's a very popular tale so expect queues and packed screens on release day.

No comments:

Post a Comment